If you want to sell books on Amazon , there is no better marketplace. After all, Amazon began as an online book store in 1995 before becoming the gigantic marketplace for almost everything that it is today. So if you are wondering how to sell books on Amazon, then keep on reading this intensive guide to get started.
Find Used Books to Sell
Of course, the first thing you need to do to start selling books on Amazon is to source the books for selling. Luckily, there are a number of ways in which you can find these books. Here are the most popular methods for sourcing used books for cheap:
- Personal library : Many people start by looking at what books they have and seeing which ones they can let go of.
- Online : There are plenty of places online where you can find cheap books, such as Craigslist and eBay. There are even some online book stores where you can buy some great titles on sale.
- Used book stores : This isn’t the ideal place to find cheap used books when you’re thinking of selling used books on Amazon, but if you wait for a sale, it could be worth your while.
- Yard sales : This is where you can find the cheapest books, and people usually have some rare gems here that can fetch a pretty penny on Amazon. And the best part is that you can even negotiate.
- Flea markets : This is similar to yard sales and you should always be on the look for great titles here.
Create a Seller Central Account
After have gathered a good collection of books, you are ready to start selling. The first step in every seller’s journey is to create a regular Amazon account – if you don’t have one already. Then it is a matter of heading over to Seller Central and creating a seller account. Once you get started with the registration, you just have to complete the steps and you are good to go.
Keep in mind that there are fees involved when creating a Seller Central account based on which plan you choose. The Individual plan will cost $0.99 for each book that you sell. And for the Business plan, you will need to pay $39.99 a month.
List the Books You Want to Sell
With your Seller Central account created, you will then have to list all the books you want to sell. Seller Central is a web interface with all the tools you need to make sure that all your books are listed on Amazon and people can purchase them. Here is a video tutorial on the full process of listing anything on Amazon, and it should come in hand now that you want to sell books on Amazon.
Choose Between FBM and FBA
When a customer makes an order, its time to get the book to them. To fulfill the order, you can choose between Fulfillment by Merchant (FBM) or Fulfillment by Amazon (FBM). Here is a brief explanation of the two options.
Fulfillment by Merchant is the traditional way of fulfilling an order that a customer makes. Basically, you, as the person selling books to Amazon, are responsible for packaging and shipping the product to customers, along with paying all the fees. This means that you will also need to handle all the returns and refunds.
On the other hand, Fulfillment by Amazon is where you leave order fulfillment to Amazon. They will do all the picking, packaging and shipping of the books to customers. Amazon also takes care of all the returns and refunds for you. Many people who sell used books on Amazon prefer FBA because it leaves them with more time to find and sell books.
The way it works for the seller is simple. You just send your books to one of Amazon’s fulfillment centers. From there, Amazon will take care of the rest when an order is received. However, there are some fees to be aware of as well.
Once the customer receives their order and they confirm with Amazon that everything is in order, you get paid. They will then give you feedback. It is up to you to respond to any feedback, even when you opt for Amazon FBA.